Saturday, January 10, 2015

#14: Slant Six by Erin Belieu

Slant Six is one of several poetry anthologies I acquired over the year 2014, when I began my very first Poetry Writing class at my university. I even got to meet her and have her sign my copy, which is super cool!

Anyway, about Slant Six: This little collection of poems is dark, funny, innovative, evocative, surprising, beautiful and ultimately satisfying. Knowing Erin, who came with Lauren Berry to a private Q&A session in my class, her poems reflect her personality quite well. Erin is very sincere, but also funny in a serious sort of way. Her humor comes naturally, both in her personality and her poetry.

"Poem of Philosophical and Parental Conundrums Written In An Election Year", for example, seems to be, in my opinion, a prime example of Erin's impeccable style, as well as a reflection of her motherly love and keen perception. The poem, like many others Erin has written, is effortlessly upbeat and witty. One particular part that struck me reads:

"how we're suckered into thinking this kid stuff
is a science when really it's the most abstract
art form, like you're standing in a gallery at

MoMA, staring at an aquarium in which float
three basketballs, and the piece is titled
Aquarium with Three Basketballs...." (Erin Belieu, Slant Six, 2014. All rights reserved.)

Other poems I particularly liked include "The Body Is A Big Sagacity", "Burying It", "Apres Moi" and "Olentangy River". Overall, nevertheless, the collection is brilliant and memorizing, and prompts me to read it over and over again until I have every bit of Erin Belieu's poems memorized.




For more information on my time with Erin Belieu and my writing, check out my other blog at http://cjustuswriterintro.blogspot.com/

LIKE my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/courtneyjustuswriter?fref=ts


Creative Commons License
Slant Six Review by Courtney Justus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment