Friday, June 6, 2014

#4: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

In honor of the movie coming to theaters today (YAY!), I have decided to give a review of what I can say is one of my favorite books of all time: "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. This book has been given so much attention, especially with the new movie, and it deserves it one hundred percent.

Ever the brilliant writer, John Green has created a book filled with metaphors. From the first chapter, when Hazel and Augustus meet. “It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing.” To the very end, metaphors such as this one and "Some infinities are bigger than others", keep you wanting to hear more and more.

I will confess that, at first, I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book. I had been told that it was really nice, but I didn't know how to handle the fact that the main characters, Hazel Grace, Augustus and Isaac, had cancer. But after some very eager reading and a lot of thought, I can tell you truthfully that this is not a "cancer book". Sure, there are mentions of how different characters, including the kids from their support group, struggle with and/or feel bad about having cancer. Hazel, for example, does not have full lung capacity, and she tells Augustus how "not being able to breathe really sucks". But that is not the focus of the book.

What is the focus of the book, then? The answer...Love! Romantic love, love in friendship, love in family, love as an emotion and a driving force. It is at the heart of this book. It's what keeps you reading, wanting to learn more and more about Hazel, Augustus, Isaac. From Amsterdam to egging, from support group to stars, from bigger infinities to smaller infinities, they will make you laugh, cry and think very, very hard about what life means to you.

I am not recommending this book just because it is a mega best-seller. I am not recommending it just because one of my favorite actresses is playing Hazel in the "must-see" movie. These are reasons to give it attention, sure. But most of all, I am writing this because this book positively changed my life, and the way I view the world, forever. And hopefully, if you choose to pick it up, it will positively change yours too.




Note: I do not own any of these images. All images are the property of other websites and organizations.

Creative Commons License
The Fault in Out Stars Review by Courtney Justus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment